Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I Reach for Poetry in Light and Shadows: Interview III

A Note From the Writer:

As a teenager, filled to burst with angst, I found great solace in writing.  Solace in angsty, melodramatic, great sweeps of equally macabre and florid vocabulary-pocked poetry.  I feel a little guilty about this, but also know that this is a faze that a lot of writers have.  

Luckily, I eventually saw the sun and introduced a little bit of color into my wardrobe.  Unfortunately because of life becoming happier, that well of human rage dried.  Suddenly, poetry became elusive or cheap through newly budding teenage romances and precarious optimism. 

That well of darker human emotion became much harder to tap.  But for all my smiles and pastel lingerie, I'm a cold pessimist.  I haven't written poetry in so long, but I know that through the weather of life there will always be a dark cloud somewhere down the horizon. 

See how easy it was to get pessimistic?  Imagery, metaphor, and all that good shit.

This piece was my attempt to capture the conflicting emotions of a romantic relationship kinda sorta on the rocks.  The vagueness of kinda sorta is that gray area in a relationship when you both feel something so vastly beyond the scope of human emotion. 


As grand as that may be, you're not quite sure if the gravity of this force (love, whatever that may be) is any longer doing you any good.

Enjoy.


Where This Piece Came From:
I originally wrote this when I was in college.  My first real relationship just ended.  However upon cutting out the only good part of the original to share with you folks, my Muse decided other things.  A new poem was shit out of her sweet ass.

Here is the newest and less bullshitty "Interview III".


Interview III

Can you describe for me the exchange?

Two lions on opposite sides of a watering hole.  Eyes watching the other’s every movement.  Shoulders tense and hind legs ready to fight or flee at a moment’s notice.  Fight, flee, or fuck. 

They take two steps away--
water hanging in drops to their muzzle. 

Flee, slowly.  Deny the potential.  At opposite crests looking down at the mirrored water the gaze is broken. 

They part.

We had watched this from afar.

From what perspective?

Too close to the situation to tell you a thing, but I learned one thing.

What was it that you learned from this?

We are just animals coping with the world.

Was that the last you ever saw each other?

No.  I see him every time I look in the mirror. 
We humans have a strange way of impressing each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment