Tuesday, October 22, 2013

We Are Millennials and We Are Fucked

Note to the Readers:  I promise I'll eventually write positive pieces, but for now my focus is on real shit.  Throughout my years writing for fun, I've found it easier to relay a message through the darker shades of reality. 



We Are Millennials and We Are Fucked
I'm a child of the 90's.  The bar for education, success, and being unique was set high.  We were told that we were all special.  By having that label thrust upon us like ice cream pressed onto a lactose intolerant bulimic, we had a need to be special.  Because of this need we deem it fit to bumpersticker, tag, and hashtag to set ourselves apart meanwhilst categorizing ourselves further and farther.  The music our youths is the angsty, yet kitschy pop stylings of I'm different; I'm a nerd; I'm a hipster with a chorus of No one understands me. 
Our printed media--such as magazines--are rife with advice on how to live your life.  Glossy guides of How to navigate life without exploring outside of the socially accepted deviations of behavior for dummies.  You can be unique, but not so unique as to shatter politically correct and prescribed labels.  We try at something that comes to us naturally, being different is a inherent given.  We lose ourselves by imitating what the world is projecting we should be. 
We drown in sea of media minutia mired in sexual active and mature pseudo-models of reality.  We were going through puberty while TV teens were played by some approaching the mid-life crises.  From this messages were mixed and standards were perverted.  No wonder so many of us grew up styling ourselves as 13 going on a slutty 30.  The media spat out our get--The Millennials.

1 comment:

  1. It's like every thing iv though over the years was just written out for me. Mind Blown!

    ReplyDelete